YOU GET TO KNOW SOMEONE THROUGH FRIENDSHIP

 12312008190

 

The B listers spent Friday night at the Illawarra Performing Arts Centre seeing the Melbourne Comedy Festival road show which was in town or as they called it, ‘The Gong’.

 

We loved it; we had not been to a comedy night before. Even if we had different tastes to some of the jokes it didn’t cause us any strain as most of it was pretty funny.

 

Early on Saturday morning (before 7 am) I hit Bulli beach armed with multiple rods, prawns, pilchards and a big bucket to bring the fish home. Unfortunately I came home fishless and once again had to settle for poached eggs on toast for breakfast. It was a cold drizzly winter morning but I managed to get a few sky pics.

 

20062009684

 

No fish so five minutes later.

 

20062009685

 

And later.

 

20062009694

 Then the rain came, time to go home and have a warm shower.

 20062009697

After the warm shower we drove down to North Wollongong beach and had a fantastic breakfast at the beach Kiosk called Diggies.

North Wollongong Beach looked like a great place. It has rock pools, wading areas and good surf when it’s not cold, windy and raining. Yes beaches are for summer.

20062009700

I, as usual, had the poached eggs. We then walked back along the bike and walking track from North Wollongong Beach to the horseshoe-shaped bay known as Belmore Basin with its assortment of sailing and fishing boats and two lighthouses.

20062009706v2

20062009707v2

Just as we were returning to the car the rain came down.

20062009705

We headed off to Fairy Meadow where 75% of the gang shopped whilst the other 25% read all the magazines in the local newsagent. This spate of retail therapy was followed by a leisurely drive along the beach front road to Thirroul and then onto lunch at Austinmer.

(D. H. Lawrence had a brief stop in Thirroul during which time he completed Kangaroo.)

The return trip to Woonona saw some more retail therapy in the historic town of Bulli. Bulli was first established in the 1860s as a coal-mining village and was the original settlement from which the city of Wollongong grew. Whilst I’m throwing in a history lesson I may as well tell you something about Woonona. 

For five days in April, 1770, HMS Endeavour, commanded by then Lieutenant James Cook, remained off Wollongong’s Pacific Ocean coastline. Cook, accompanied by Joseph Banks and others, made their first attempt to land on Australian soil at Collins Rock.

Heavy surf and breakers prevented one of the small boats launched from the Endeavour and carrying Cook, Banks and crew from landing on the beach where aboriginal people had been sighted and where their canoes were drawn up clear of the surf. This beach is near Wollongong’s northern suburb of Woonona. A plaque commemorating the event is located on the headland south of the beach. (From Wollongong online web site)

Anyway, back to Bulli. The retail therapy required us to make the obligatory visit to an antique shop. And the one we visited was as quaint as. If you want to relive our experience visit here. Victoria Street Restorations, 245 Princes Hwy Bulli NSW 2516.

OUTSIDE

20062009717

INSIDE

20062009710v2

As usual I had a fantastic time with my friends. We laughed, ate together and talked non stop. It’s great that you can surround yourself with friends who agree with you on things of great interest or importance. What I can’t understand is why it takes us so long to decide where and what to have for lunch.

 By the way I fell in love with a really beautiful girl, her name is Sparkle. I’m going to ask her over next week although looking at her now she does seem a little disinterested  and she might be out of my price range. 

20062009715v2

 Sean

(c) 2009 simple and easy information

Advertisements